Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 3 Update: Food, Glucose, and Digestives

Good Morning everyone! With the weekend looming I figured I would post today some things done this week:

Food
Working in the City, I find it very difficult to resist the urge to head to <insertChainRestaurant> and pick up something to eat when all I have is a droll sandwich. These two recipes I found super delicious and easy to make ahead.

Chicken Soba Noodles with Spinach
Spicy Chicken & Avocado Wrap: Obviously some assembly required when you are in the office, but the chicken is very versatile and can be thrown in many different combinations of wraps or sandwiches. Running out of avocado, I substituted a salsa/sour cream blend and it tasted fantastic. Throw some spinach in there-- boom.

Chicken Soba Noodles:Definitely make this in large portions, it is delicious. Serve nice and chilled, it's lovely for eating outside on those days you sneak out of the office to grab some rays on your lunch break. I added spinach to bulk mine out a bit, and I had to substitute some thai noodles as soba was no where near to be found at Tescos (yet they have 4 different types of chili sauce... makes no sense)


GlucoTabs
I got a pack of these in my Bedgebury Trail Half race kit (one of the nicest race bags in a while) and I decided to give them a go. For some reason I imagined them more like gummies, but sadly this was not the case. In talking with the UKRunChat crew, its a great way to get instant energy before a race, but not so good mid-race. I can see this, trying to chew this chalky pill could be dangerous without copies amounts of water, which, when running, can be difficult to obtain.

So I had a morning run scheduled and instead of banana I had a glucotab with some water. The flavour (juicy raspberry) was not unpleasant, albeit a bit chalky.  I could see me using this on morning runs when I can't be asked to wake up earlier or overslept (like that has EVER happened!). It could also be good for mid-work day jogs if you are one of those people have to be pried away from the desk to get out there and run. Normally though, I would be happier with actual food.

I also assume the number you have depends on the distance you are going. I went only 5.5miles, maybe even one was overkill? The website seems to infer it to be used to fight fatigue, but I cannot see this trumping coffee any time soon.

Digestives
I love McVitties Milk Chocolate Digestive biscuits. It's not even funny the love I have for them. I made the mistake of buying a whole pack and having them in my office. Now I can hear them during they day, constantly torturing me. This was a bad move on my part. So I will need to bring the package home and only bring in one or two into the office each day. Willpower is diminished in the office, so this will curb my binges. This does not solve the issue when I am at home, however I find it easier to say no at home... which is a bit strange. Does anyone else experience this?

Well thats it people, have a lovely weekend. This is my first weekend on the 30 Day Fitness Challenge, we shall see how we fare!



No comments:

Post a Comment